Sunday, July 03, 2005

Interview update

Well, I went to the 'interview' at Manpower on Tuesday. Like what Jared said in my previous post comment, it wasn't really an interview... but rather assessing my skills to see if they fit any job vacancies available. My contact person made me go through some tests... nothing that hard... but the whole process went on for 4.5 hours! They were some management skill tests, typing test and proofreading test.

After all tests, she 'interviewed' me... and she introduced a job for me.... working in a frontline Microsoft call centre team, troubleshooting Microsoft products catering for callers from Australia and New Zealand. The company is Datacom South-East Asia. The job would be a 6 months contract with 3-5 weeks of classroom training. They would also provide me with free Microsoft professional courses after the 6 months contract. Although a networking job would fit my interest more, but I guess this would be good for my 1st job experience. So I told her I'll give it a try, and she said she could make an interview appointment for me with that company (which happened on Thursday) that would be a tele-conference interview with a guy (Michael) from Sydney. hahaha... I know, I couldn't believe it myself when I first heard it. Tele-conference interview with an Australian?! That's something I've never had before! Have you? Anyway I went home that day smiling to myself, wondering what have I gotten myself into! :P

On Thursday, I went for the interview. Happened that it wasn't exactly the type of tele-conference I was thinking about. No big screen showing Michael and his office.... just a telephone. aiks.... I was a little disappointed, but I guess that helped make me less nervous. I did my very best to answer all questions to promote my strengths and knowledge. I hope they thought well of me. And I hope they would give me an answer soon....

So far, I haven't got anymore interviews coming up. Maybe I should look for non-IT jobs to fill up my time... or maybe go for some classes... recommendation?

6 Comments:

Blogger Yian said...

If you really need to get a job, I suggest you try to find one that will benefit you in the future, or in your job searching. Something that can build up your confidence?

I'm thinking more along the lines of telemarketing rather than data entry. At least through telemarketing, you get to speak to me, and learn to sell yourself/your product, and that will give you more confidence for your interviews. And you don't have to practice face-to-face too! Hehehehe..

Classes/courses that will benefit you in the future will be good too, but some may be quite expensive, but don't even benefit your career advancement.

But don't sign up for something during office hours and it will tie you down when you look for jobs. Ie: Something that last 3 months, and is during the day, then you won't be able to start work for 3 months!

;)

4:55 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

telemarketing?? you reckon?? But.... I don't like telemarketing... :(

I was also thinking about Japanese class. Or even some professional course... something like what Cheng Fei is doing... something to do with web design.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Yian said...

But would those be beneficial?

Japanese - seriously, you can't learn enough to be fluent in it, and having the basics is pretty useless. Unless you have huge interest to be a missionary there ;p, or really passionate about the ppl or get a bf there.....i think it's a waste of time and money that you don't have.

Professional courses are good, but i was thinking more like MCSE or Cisco (but I know super expensive). Other than that, web design won't do you much good in networking or SAP.......right?

CF is diff. He has talent and passion for web design, he can do freelance next time.

Just my tots...

11:12 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I did a bit of basics in Jap when I was in high school. No doubt its no use! :P I forgot practically 90% of it. But if I were to take up Jap course again, I would wanna go in depth... and not just the basics... learn how to write and talk fluently...

Its just that I still don't know what I want to do... although my interest is more of networking and SAP, I like multimedia and web design too. I can do programming and database as well... IT is just too broad and confusing! (I know I'm blaming all on it :P)

MCSE.... maybe.... Cisco... not yet... I wanna brush up my basic networking skills 1st.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Yian said...

Jap - my question is...what for?

I tot Cisco IS networking, and CCNA is easier/shorter/cheaper than MCSE? You could ask Dan..he has both. It seems pretty important, I always see these two as requirements.

Girl, you gotta decide. Stick to one. Multimedia and all need a lot of talent and experience, haven't really seen you do those kinda stuff. And I don't think you want to do programming all day, right??

I think SAP and Networking is the way to go ;p

5:44 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

hmmm... Dan clever ma... my networking ma ma dei only... I barely even got close to getting a distinction or credit for my networking subjects... you need basic networking skills for CCNA... if not, money wasted. I wanted a networking job because I like what I studied in Uni, and that it will get me somewhere far, I think.

So now it seems that its to difficult for me to get a networking job, maybe I could venture out in other areas. If you want me to do networking 24/7, I would cry my ass out. Same goes for everything else. So why not keep my options open?

Japanese.... because if I were to learn a new language, that would be it.

Yian, don't you now I like multimedia and web design too?

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home