Thursday, September 29, 2005

Arrogance + Lack of Confidence

Have you ever known someone who is arrogant, and yet is a person who lacks confidence? Someone who boasts about the things he/she has achieved, and yet always whines that he/she not good enough and not capable? Someone who looks down at other people, laughs cooly when others can't do what he/she can do, and yet always seek reassurance from others of his/her skills?

I use to think we could only be either arrogant, or lack of confidence. I thought all I had to do was to balance in between. But instead, I realized how thin the balancing line really is, and that we fall to the sides so easily.

I remember what a friend said, 'Someone can project themselves as a person who lacks confidence, to hide away their arrogance.' The more I thought about it, the more I saw the truth in it. They can whine all day of their inabilities, but they are actually very proud of their abilities. They try to make a good impression out of themselves, yet they went to the extreme of both directions.

Being proud of one's achievement is good. But keep away from arrogance. Instead, keep ourselves humble and we will slowly gain respect. We should not lack confidence in ourselves... but instead, face challenges with open arms and be prepare to be taught... whether it be working knowledge or life lessons.

I always fall to the sides... in both directions from time to time... Here, I do not wish to show that I'm any better than anyone out there, but I just wanted to share a bit of my own life lessons. So that we can all learn together.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yian said...

Is it possible to be arrogant and lack of confidence in different areas of our lives???

I am not confident in myself, personality wise. I don't really like myself sometimes, I think I am born with this, being a beaver. Not to say I can't change, but its hard.

Life along the way has made me paranoid of friends/people not liking me. I lack confidence in this.

I am proud of my achievements academically. I hope I'm not arrogant though. Being proud of my achievements is different than being a proud person, generally. I think, and I hope I'm right, that I'm the former, not latter.

10:54 AM  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

WAHHH... so the profound... hehehehe

I think arrogance can be detected by the look on one's face... The kind of face that you take a look at and remember the whole of next week, and those that you promise to punch the next time you see the fella....

erm... I never said that... No! it wasn't me...

we should love one another, with unconditional love, although you still want to punch the dirtbag, you still have to care for him because it's against the will of God to only hit his face. If you punch his face(up), you'd have to kick his butt(down) as well... and i'm not prepared to do that...

12:34 PM  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

Whatever you see from SaDdNesZ.jc today, it wasn't him. His evil twin brother has taken over his role for the day... WHEEEE!!!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yian: Yes, people are most usually arrogant and lack of confidence in different areas. But don't you agree that either ways its not good to have these traits?

I don't know but I don't like to associate myself with any of these personality thingy, horoscopes or star signs. When I think that I'm one of them, I start to grow towards it. Instead I try to learn all the good traits from all characters.. isn't that better?

No doubt being proud of ones achievements is not arrogance. But one should be careful on how they carry out this non-arrogance proudness (haha! sorry can't find the right word) Just like what JC said, it shows on their faces! and they attract kickers like JC... I mean JC's evil twin... :P

JC: :O JC's evil twin brother! arh!! *run and hide*

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home