Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Is networking for me?

I've already been in this company for 2.5 months... 2.5 months into the networking job... and I'm still not sure whether this is my cup of tea.

Many people asked me, 'How is your job?'. I simply just replied 'ok ler'. I know I don't sound so enthusiastic about my job. But really, that's how I feel. I mean, how enthusiastic can I be? Looking at IP addresses all day long... looking at port numbers in all traffic... looking at the largest number in a list to jot down the maximum network traffic of the day... numbers... numbers... numbers... its really making my head spin.

I agree, its been great sometimes, when I'm given tasks that are new to me. And when I could learn something new. But sometimes, its just plain boring.

And one day when I was doing cabling with my leader in the server room, he told me he's not even sure whether networking is suitable for me (a girl). He said its because network people would need to go around doing the 'guy's job' (carrying things, screwing nuts, climb around to reach for the cables, work late sometimes...). I wouldn't mind doing those things with my best ability... but maybe my ability, being a girl, is somewhat limited?

At that moment in the server room, I happened to be wearing skirt, not to goda any guys, but because I'm born as a girl! (duh) But he told me not to wear skirt next time. :( Must I really become more boyish to do this job? Have to get rid of the girly side of me to do it all?

10 Comments:

Blogger rijac said...

well, if you had a choice, what would you rather do?

3:16 PM  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

Technically, I aplaud the company that employed you... because they practised gender equality.

But then, you can't be doing rough work in skirt, lest you get into trouble with male clients...

And from what I heard, servers can be HEAVY... so, in order for you to survive and excel in your industry, you need to get fit... :)

But if you're not enjoying it, then maybe you should try another sector of your industry...

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww... You poor girl! *hug*

Well, I guess girls still have alot to fight for to gain equality in the IT workforce. People tend to make general remarks like, "Guys are more capable in programming because they have more logical thinking; more suitable for sys admin because they can work late, more flexible and are stronger to carry servers and so forth..." Very sexist.

I would say at times, one can really get very disheartened. I have had many times, thinking like you in the past. Well, let just say not many are fortunate enough to know their career path right from the start.

#1: Some just 'tahan' and remain in their current job just because they dare not switch - resistance! #2: Some braver ones go on and venture in fields despite jaw-dropping reactions from family members and friends.
#3: And there are some (whom initially didn't like what they do), but realised that's their true calling in the end.

Someone once told me, "If you can't decide which field suits you best, at least go for the one which you are strongest in. Of course, the ideal would be one where you love it and also is strong in!"

So, cheer up and show 'em you can do it!! Go gurl. ;)

P/s: Great, I just over-blabbed! :P

5:36 PM  
Blogger NoMandLand said...

*cyber hug*

6:58 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

rijac: If I had a choice, I would choose to laze at home or relax at a beach and take up some scuba diving! haha

JC: Well, to be honest, I didn't want to do rough work like carrying things, climbing around and stuff. Lucky enough, I haven't done any of that since I got into this job. I wanted to go into the knowledge side of networks. Not muscles... you know what I mean? But maybe that's not quite possible....

Eva: :) I do have interest in many other fields in IT... probably that;s why its so hard to choose! grr..

And as you know, my strongest field is really networking since my degree major is in networking. That's why our big boss actually put me here. But hrmp! I won't give up so easily geh. I will show them that girls can also do what guys can do!! ;)

A year: thanx :)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Yian said...

I want *hugs* too!!! I lub you...

Don't give up or get disheartened so easily my dear....i know, i know, easy to say, hard to do....

But I don't believe that networking is only for guys. And I doubt so much that you'll have do lug servers around and all :)

You're right, learn up the knowledge side, when you're good at it, you'll be the team lead, and instructing the other guys to do the heavy work muahahhahahahhaha.....

11:47 AM  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

I knew it... there's a conspiracy for the girls to take over the world!!!

They are already queen of the bedroom and now they want to take over the only territory left for man...

NoooOOOOoooOOoooOooOoooooo

11:55 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yian: Well, I know there's always ups and downs in everything. Especially for me, joy when I get to learn something new. But bored when I had to go through heaps of simple monitoring tasks. Just like today, I was just so overjoyed!! Will blog about it later or tomoro morning. :P

haha.. team lead?? Wait till I become 'AskMe's' level la... which has more than 10 years experience. But I'm sure that day will come! Muahahah! Watch out guys!

JC: heh heh heh! Scared? But when was it ever set as a territory for man anyways? Man took over it and call it their own... Now look who's being unfair? ;p

2:55 AM  
Blogger SaDdNesZ.jc said...

I just hate it when girls can sound so politically correct at all times!

Rats!!!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

JC: hahah! Can't help it, comes with the whole female package :P Admit it! We ARE correct!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home