Friday, September 10, 2004

No more spoon feeding

Today I had quite an interesting chat with a friend. He read my depressed post 2 days ago and came to rescue with some advice! haha... sort of... :) I don't remember the exact lines of the conversation :p Unlike my roommate, Sharon, who can remember every single bit! Wait till she tells you about her conversation with her other friend! haha... Impressive... Anyway back to the topic, I very much agreed with what he said.... The education system here in Australia is really very different from the one back home.

In all my study life, kindergarten, primary school, secondary school and college, I've always been spoon fed with information. Everything I needed to know for the exams are taught in classes, with exercises to supervise my progress, and small classes for better concentrated teaching. Sad to say so, things aren't like that anymore. This never happens in uni. Welcome to the uni world! Welcome to the real world! No more spoon feeding, no more easy life.... I once thought uni life was easy since I've only had 3 days of class in a week. I guess I thought wrong!!

No.1: Since no one is there to make sure you go to classes.... everything was about self motivation, self discipline. They don't send warning letters to your parents for your absence in class :D
No.2: We need to do extensive readings every week to understand the lectures. Unless you have a great mind to understand 15 pages of slides which are discussed in several chapters in the textbook! And although you only have 3 hours on that subject in a week, they made sure you had materials to read on for the rest of the time.
No.3: We need to learn the facts in a subject and apply it to the real world problem. And I wonder... when did we ever had to apply add maths to the real world??

I know I can do better than my current achievement.... just that now I'll have to feed myself. I will surely work on it. My 1st ingredient would be self discipline. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home